Traditional Club at WIHS

Wyoming Indian High School has a unique opportunity to have a Traditional Club  that offers dance presentations, shares culture through songs, and raises money for cultural related trips.  

Sandi Iron Cloud, English teacher at WIHS, has been the one running the club for about 18 years on and off since she’s worked in the district. 

The Traditional Club has been in existence since the high school began in January 1972.  I am just one of the few who has had the honor to carry it on for our students,” said Iron Cloud. 

Corwin Howell, junior at WIHS, is the president of the Traditional Club. He books the meetings and organizes the agendas. The main goal for the club is to raise enough money for this year’s spring pow-wows. 

Howell said, “We talk about the monthly fundraisers, the two spring pow-wows, and other ideas.” 

The Traditional Club does dance presentations for organizations who request their services. Around the fall time, they do the Veterans Day Luncheons, they sponsor a community masquerade, and do a Valentine’s Day Luncheon. They’re major activity is sponsoring a spring graduation pow-wow to honor their graduates. 

The Traditional Club is open to all students. Students can even join the club now if they would like to! To participate in an incentive trip or any field trip, a member must be active and be academically eligible for the week.